Time & Location
About the Event
PARENTS AHOY! One-Hour-A-Week Parent Support Group Discussing Children Ages 3 to 12 Years
Join Dottie Higgins Klein, LMFT, RPT-S for 1 hour each week, around the Globe on Zoom -- sessions resume Thursday, Jan 14, 2021. (see replay schedule, too)
Most parents report that no matter how challenging their work in the world is, parenting remains the greater challenge. The main intention of Parents Ahoy is to offer a supportive community just one hour a week. There is a live presentation and discussion (or by recorded replay later) with a group of caring parents who welcome weekly inspiration, suggestions, and support. The meetings focus on a wide range of parenting topics for a very reasonable fee.
A Primary Focus will be to help parents to develop their own parenting style – sorting out conflicting viewpoints in a supportive environment. It includes understanding Normal Development vs. When parents should be concerned. Questions are welcome in advance or spontaneously during the face-to-face class discussion. In addition to parents with children ages 3-12, we also welcome therapists, counselors, teachers, and grandparents – Live or for the recorded Zoom replay.
Thursdays, Live at 1:00 PM, ET -- plus, Recorded Replay is available Thursday evening to Saturday 12 PM, ET. (Live class time is 10:00 AM in California; early evening in UK and Ireland… International participants, please check your local time.) Participants or their family members who missed the live session can watch the recorded class from the evening of the class day, Thursday, 8:30 PM, ET, until Saturday 12:00 PM, ET. (This allows viewing at Pacific Time from Thursday, 5:30 PM, PT- until Saturday 9:00 PM, PT -- also allowing those in other time zones around to watch the replay)
Class Dates -- Weekly on Thursdays: January, 14, 21, 28, Feb. 4, 11, 18, 25, March 4, 11, 18, etc… through June 2021. Open enrollment—but register now for early registration price.
Open enrollment – join any time: You are welcome to join for ten sessions at a time. The intention is to offer an ongoing One-Hour-A-Week Parent Group that you can give yourself for support through the years of parenting!
Examples of Upcoming Topics: (Topics also follow the voiced needs of the group)
- Raising Happy Children: Destructive and Constructive Entitlement
- Helping both Child and Parent with Healthy Anger. Handling “meltdowns”
- Technology – How much? How little? How confusing! Blackout Times, Avoid Doomsurfing…
- Small “t” traumas - Helping Children Through Small traumas & handling past traumas as the child grows up
- Mindful Parenting – Parents in Tune with their own Experience as Parents
- What is the difference between an Untruth and a Lie at different ages? How to handle children’s lies as part of Normal Development.
- Helping Children Deal with Loss, from pets to grandparents, to what is deemed valuable.
- How to Address Parental & Child Peer Pressure -- socially, academically, including the latest “gadgets”.
- What is underneath a Child’s Anxieties? Fears? What is helpful? What is not?
- What is the Value of parental Limit Setting to help develop Frustration Tolerance?
- Living with children in two homes - divorce/step families
- The importance of Developing Empathy. How to Avoid having Self-centered Children.
- “Open Mic” spontaneous discussion
- Nurturing the Child’s True Voice.
- What is the difference between Anger and Rage? Concrete ways to help children develop Affect Regulation.
Cost: $200 for 10 sessions. For Early Registration price $180, just $18 per session, sign up now or by Thursday, January 7. One or both parents, grandparents, etc., are also welcome to attend from the same site, or for the replay.
Please Note: There is also a one-Hour-Parenting Group for ages Birth to 3 years. Join any time – sign up for ten sessions at a time. Parents Ahoy is sponsored by the Family & Play Therapy Center, founded in Philadelphia in 1995 -- www.fptcenter.com
Questions? Call Jerry at 215-844-4321, ext 2, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Website for Parents Ahoy! Parenting Groups – www.parentsahoy.com